Saturday, November 26, 2016

Steemithelp.net a new resource for helping new users

Steemithelp.net a new resource for helping new users (with an updated version of the "Missing FAQ")

Introduction

Apologies for not being around much on Steemit over the last 24 hours but I have been working away on this over the last day or so and it has (as with many things) been a lot more work than I first expected.

I made a post last week on ideas for promoting Steemit and I've had a lot of great input from a lot of users.


One thing that has consistently come up is the idea that a lot of new users who are not crypto-literate find it difficult to get going - the so called "on-boarding" issue as @sykochica and others have referred to it.

It will take time until such features are incorporated into the main Steemit website as understandably the team are currently busy with refining the core aspects.

There have been a lot of posts aimed at dealing with this issue and helping to fill the current void but it is often difficult for them to find these posts on the Steemit website.

One of the ideas that I have heard multiple times is that it may help to host some of these posts in a way that collates them in one single point of access.

Well rather than waiting around I decided to do something about it. The TLDR is that I have made that website:

One Possible Solution: Steemithelp.net


I have purchased a 12 month subscription for the URL "https://www.steemithelp.net" . I have also purchased a 12 month subscription with Squarespace to host a site for me.

It is not cheap but they do have a very intuitive interface that makes putting pages together very easy and most importantly they accept Markdown posting.

Hopefully I will be able to fund the subscriptions via Steemit posts.

Purposes of Steemithelp:


  1. Single "one-stop" URL for Steemit resources and information.
  2. Less hunting around for relevant guides/resources.
  3. Separate from Steemit itself - could be used for updates in the event of a blockchain related issue.
  4. This may also have SEO advantages and be able to overcome shadow blocking issues on social media.
Currently the only thing I have up on it is an updated version of the FAQ I posted a couple of months ago but gradually I will be adding more resources like the Etiquette and Markdown guides as well as community suggested content (see below).
The site seems to be up and running fine but please let me know if you have any issues.

New version of "The Missing FAQ - A Beginners Guide To Using Steemit"
Here is how it looks on the new site:

I have added information (including walkthroughs and screenshots) on the following:
  • Savings Accounts.
  • Avatars.
  • Notifications.
  • Forthcoming Economic Changes and links to the github discussion.

Other changes
  • Changed the formatting to a more contemporary style
  • I've also converted the old version from .html to Markdown for easier future editing as .html is really hard to follow (for me).
  • I've had to re-insert all the images and screenshots as the previous links had stopped working - this took a lot longer than I expected, although I eventually resorted to the workaround of just linking to the images in the original post (should have done that all along!) - let me know if I've missed any or if the images don't work.
Future changes

When the new editing features are in place I will look at updating the old screenshots of the posting part of the guide.

How you can help



  1. Please take a look at the revised version of my FAQ here and let me know if you spot any typos, or require corrections or additions? Are there any updates I have missed?
  2. What kind of resources do you want to be added to Steemithelp?
  3. Do you have a guide or a post that you think is suitable for adding and that you would like me to host on the site?'
Your Reward for Reading:)


If you like my work and aren't already, please follow me and check out my blog (I mainly discuss photography but I do other topics too) - @thecryptofiend

Photo Credits: All photos are taken from my personal Thinkstock Photography account. More information can be provided on request.


(Verification for me here: http://www.aapicture.com/about-me)

Some of my other recent posts



Are You New to Steemit and Finding it Confusing?

These resources may help:

  1. For a Quick FAQ - Try this
  2. To learn about Markdown (to help you post) - Try this
  3. Need to know Steemit Etiquette? - Try this
  4. Need some free images for your posts? Try Steemit4free - make sure to check which images it applies to.
  5. Need to talk to a human for help? - Try the chat
  6. Need Mentorship? - Try Steemprentice - here is a link that explains it, and here is the chat channel.
  7. Need a Free Image Host that works with Steemit? - Try SteemImg - it automatically produces markdown and html links for you, as well creating thumbnails and more.
  8. Need to Buy or Sell Steem/SD? - Try this tutorial for Blocktrades.

(Want to use this list in your own posts? - download the text file formatted in Markdown here.)

Author: @ontofractal
 
'
SteemDaily © 2016. Member of Steemit Community.